Tuesday, August 28, 2007

This is nice. :)

Over the summer, classes that I taught met Monday through Thursday. For the first summer session I taught for 4 hours straight and the second summer session was for 3 hours straight. Each day I came home and had papers to grade and had to prepare what I was going to cover for the next day. It left little time for much else. And now that fall classes are here - my schedule rocks!

I have to admit that I would prefer to teach in the mornings rather than the afternoons like I am, but besides that fall classes are great! I teach statistics on MWF starting around 12:30 and then I teach business calculus right after that on only MW. I have to admit that I am already feeling the relief of not teaching again the very next day and also not having papers to grade every single night. Both the classes that I am teaching this semester are linked to an online program where they do their homework which means - no HW for me to grade. And I made the decision to not give any quizzes this semester. I actually did that in the hopes that there will be more time in each class to practice problems. Maybe I will just assign some problems to do in groups in class that don't count for a grade.

Another difference here is that I have taught each of these classes at this school before which means that I don't have to spend a couple hours everyday preparing for the next day - maybe about 30 minutes every other day (unless I have to write an exam).

Fall classes rock!

1 comments:

Sheila said...

I remember when I had long days up at the university. One semester, I had a class from 8:00am-9:30am, then I had a class from 11:00am-12:20pm (It took about an hour to walk to my car, and drive home and then drive back, so I had to stay up at the university between the classes). Then I would have lunch. And after lunch I would have a chemistry lab from 1:00pm-5:00pm, and then my last class was from 5:30pm-6:50pm. That semester was awful.