Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My worst Christmas present

The week before Christmas, Jacob came home from school one day and acted like he just didn't feel well.  He didn't eat dinner and just laid around the house.

The next morning he also acted like he was sick, but he had no other symptoms - no fever, no congestion, no cough.  As the morning dragged on I had just about decided that I needed to let his teachers know he wouldn't be at school when he perked up and wanted to eat and acted like his old self so I sent him on to school.

Once the twins woke up from their naps, Jeremy was running a fever but Joel was fine.  By the way - let me just say that it is awful when one of the kids are sick, but Joel is well.  That kid is seriously the most obnoxious kid to the sick ones - all they want is to be left alone and all he wants is to jump all over them and bug them.
Poor, sick Jeremy
Jacob came home from school and still seemed fine but meanwhile I was starting to not feel so great and Jeremy definitely didn't feel well.  We had lots to do over the next couple days to get ready to head up to DFW for Christmas and I didn't have any energy.  I kept feeling feverish, but my temperature never got over 100.

We had a rough time getting everything ready to go out of town because Jeremy was sick and I felt a bit awful as well, but luckily we only left an hour or so later than we would have preferred to head up to Grandma and Grandpa Mac's to spend Christmas.

Over the next few days everyone else was well, but I felt miserable.  I had a low-grade fever, nauseated, and just felt yucky.  I would take ibuprofen which would help me feel a bit better and I felt like I could function, but then I would feel awful again and crash on the couch for a while.  We had ordered tickets in advance for movies and a train ride so I couldn't let money go to waste and just rest at home.

Things that happened while I was sick:
Shared my drink with Jacob
Rode The North Pole Express
Saw The Hobbit with Justin
Went to church with everyone
Trip to Costco

Christmas Eve morning I still had a low-grade fever and felt pretty miserable so I took myself to an urgent care clinic.  There was a long wait but when I was finally seen the doctor was convinced I had the flu and did a nasal schwab to test.  I was convinced I didn't have the flu because my temperature never got much over 100 and when I took ibuprofen I felt hungry and well enough to go out and do things.

The doctor was right - I tested positive for flu.  Merry Christmas to me.  I was going around spreading my germs all over the DFW area (but I tried to be careful by using hand sanitizer, coughing into my shoulder instead of my hands, etc.).

I was basically sick until after New Year's since I got a ear infection after having the flu.  But no one else in my family got sick (my younger sister got sick sometime after Christmas, but she didn't have the flu so I'm pretty certain she didn't get sick from me).

I saw a news clip a few weeks later talking about the difference between having a cold and having the flu.  They said that the way you know you have the flu is that you physically can't get out of bed or really function.  Should I assume that I'm just amazing, or that I had a mild case of the flu?  

Let's go with amazing.

1 comments:

Amy said...

I agree - you're amazing.