Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Our unplanned gift to ourselves

The week of Jacob's birthday in December, Justin didn't get home from work until after I had to put the kids to bed (tithing settlement, his group from work Christmas party - something like that).  

If you know me - you know I hate having to put the kids to bed by myself.  The twins are out of control in the bathroom and without 2 adults to keep them in order and assist, I always bathe the twins one at a time in the kitchen sink.  Then dress them in their PJs and once they're all ready, take them up to bed and get Jacob bathed and then get him to bed.  

I had something on TV to help keep them contained and a bit easier to deal with, but once the twins were ready for bed and all the kids were tired I turned the TV off and told everyone to come upstairs.  Jacob got upset about the TV and started his usual crying/half-way screaming that he does when he doesn't get his way.

I told everyone again that it was time to go upstairs and told Jacob that he needed to go upstairs so he could take a bath.  He was still throwing a fit about the TV being off so I got the twins up into their room and into their cribs.  Then called down to Jacob to come up and take a bath.  

No response.

I came downstairs and he was standing in front of the TV.  Looking like he had done something wrong.  Everything looked fine though, so I took him upstairs and bathed him.  We read stories and then I put him to bed.

It had been a long day and I knew I should clean up but I was just ready to veg.  I turned on the TV and this is what I saw.


I turned the TV off again and realized that even though I didn't notice it at first, there was a spot on the TV screen where it looked like it had been hit and was very slightly dented in (like if your car door got hit by someone else's car door in the parking lot).  The point of impact of Jacob's head hitting the TV in frustration.  And the screen had shattered.

Awesome.

So that night and the next evening we discussed whether or not we thought Justin would be getting a bonus, how much we were willing to spend on another TV and then searching for what we wanted.

We ended up spending about the same that we spent on this 32" HD TV from 5 years before and got a 55" 3D HD TV.  And it is mounted on our wall.  Out of reach of children.  Thanks to the very unplanned gift that we got for ourselves (that arrived on Jacob's birthday), we didn't get each other anything for Christmas or Valentine's Day.

Although we hadn't had any intention of getting a new TV anytime soon, now sometimes when we are watching something we thank Jacob for breaking our other TV.  Don't tell him though.

0 comments: