Sunday, January 2, 2011

December ups and downs

Our December was really like a roller coaster.

All the things we wish hadn't happened this past month:
  • Jacob got sick and it rapidly turned from just a cold to worse. Luckily we caught it early so it was only a mild case of pneumonia. Jacob had about 4 really awful days before he really started improving so we are glad we caught it early so that he was feeling lots better by his birthday.
  • I got sick and had a lot of trouble breathing in addition to feeling like I had the worst cold of my life. After 3 days of using an inhaler and still wheezing, my OB sent me to our general doctor where a nurse listened to me breathe and instructed me to go to the hospital. Luckily I started to dramatically improve while waiting to be seen - my wheezing stopped and a chest x-ray showed I didn't have pneumonia like Jacob did. Although very grateful to have such a sudden recovery - we know we won't be happy when we get the hospital bill.
  • We were in a minor fender bender in our newest vehicle - the Seminole Van. It was really minor, the damage is hardly noticeable and luckily no one was hurt. The whole thing is mainly frustrating. The people in the other car were facing us and trying to turn left across our lane, but they pulled partway into our lane and just stopped. The speed limit on the road is pretty fast, so slamming on our brakes wasn't enough and we hit front license plates. Because we weren't at fault we filed a claim with their insurance and they will pay to fix the van - we just have to figure out when to take it in, arrange for a loaner vehicle, etc. Just a huge inconvenience when I am having enough trouble just functioning day to day due to complete exhaustion.
And to end on a happy note - the ups from this past month:
  • At each of my doctor's appointments everything looked great with the babies.
  • We had great family pictures taken before anyone got sick.
  • My friends threw a nice little baby shower for me where there was great company, great food and cute baby stuff. Luckily the shower was before I got sick.
  • We had a great Christmas and enjoyed Justin's time off work. He didn't take any vacation time, because we are saving it for the when the babies come.
  • We found out that Justin has almost an entire 2 weeks of vacation that he saved to roll over to 2011 to use for the babies. So glad that his company lets him do that - I know lots of places have a "use it or lose it" policy.

0 comments: