Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bread

Last year I learned how to really bake bread. I had baked bread before, but I learned how to make the most amazing 100% whole wheat bread that can be as light and fluffy as white bread - no dough enhancers - just time, patience and A LOT of kneading.

I ordered a wheat grinder and got it a year ago, but then let it sit in the box for about a month before I finally got it out and started using it. I am proud to say that I haven't purchased a loaf of bread at the store since sometime last June! Now there have been times when we ran out of bread and we were breadless for a couple days before I baked again, but we have loved eating healthy homemade bread.

Some things I have learned over the last year - you can make whole wheat bread with red wheat, but it isn't nearly as good as it is with white wheat. I have also learned that bread turns out best when it is made on a less humid day which is hard to come by down here in the Houston area.

Even though I keep saying I am going to try another recipe from the lady that taught me how to make bread, this Buttermilk Whole Wheat is the only one I have made so far. One reason I love it is that it only has 7 simple ingredients - whole wheat flour, water, buttermilk, salt, yeast, brown sugar and butter.

When I was taught, we kneaded the dough by hand and it was a lot of kneading. The first time I made it at home by myself I also kneaded by hand and after a bit I gave up and the bread didn't turn out as light and fluffy as it should have been. Then I borrowed my mom's old mixer that is awesome!!! I hope she never wants it back!
And yes - that is my KitchenAid behind the older mixer. The lady that taught us to bake bread told us that the motor in a KitchenAid isn't strong enough to knead the bread and I have seen a few other recipes online for whole wheat bread that say the same thing. I use my KitchenAid for everything else though.

Baking this bread is quite the process - it starts at least a day in advance. Then it involves lots of kneading (even with a mixer), autolysing, lots more kneading, rising again, rolling out and shaping, rising again and then finally baking (I can only make bread when I know I will be at home for a large chunk of the day). But the final result is amazing!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Looks delicious - I just barely made bread on Monday and we are thoroughly enjoying it. I only do it a couple times a year - we have Adam buy bread from an outlet store on the way home from work and can get good bread for about a $1 a loaf.

I love my Bosch for mixing bread. I don't think I would ever make bread without it.

Crystal said...

You make the best bread! I'm glad you are enjoying my mixer.
Mom

christina said...

Julie,

Thanks for your comment. I didn't even realize my last name was showing up on my videos! I just changed it.

Your bread looks amazing by the way. I wish my bread would come out more square like yours. I've recently started making my own tortillas and just like you, when we run out it sometimes takes a few days before I can make more. Last week I made three dozen and froze two of them. That way I'm not making tortillas every week!

Thanks again. Talk to you soon!


-c

MindyW said...

You are a wonderful bread maker!! I love how you enjoy cooking/baking and perfecting things. I am very impressed with the "perfect brownies" that you sent home with Clint the other night! You have the best gadgets!!...I am still waiting for that amazing chocolate cake recipe though! YUMMY!