Sunday, August 2, 2009

Justin and the case of the Disappearing Punch Bowl

No, it is not the first book in the next series by J.K. Rowling (if there ever will be a next series). It's just a funny situation that I encountered today. In an effort to clear up some more counter space, Julie asked me to put the punch bowl somewhere. I immediately thought of the place I like to put all of the not-often-used kitchen items (since we don't have enough cabinet/closet space for it all)...on top of the cabinets. There are already a couple cake pans up there, so I got a chair, climbed on it to get on the counter, and placed the punch bowl and ladle in the next available space...the corner.


Little did I know that, unlike the bottom of the cabinets, the top of the cabinets are NOT boarded over in the corners. This means the punch bowl and ladle took a quick and noisy journey out of sight, and into the hole. Luckily, the punch bowl was big enough that it did not go all the way down to the bottom of the 48" tall cabinet chasm. I was able to extricate it, but there was no hope for the ladle. Even through the use of some extra-long cooking tongs, I was not able to retrieve the still-stranded ladle.

Julie said that it is probably a good thing, because we don't know what all might be down there besides the dust accumulation of a 6-year-old house's cabinet chasm. It is a good thing the ladle is not too expensive. At least I know now, and here is warning to all of you, that it is NOT a good idea to store things in the corner above your cabinets.


4 comments:

Ja said...

that is a funny story... i can totally see you with tongs trying to pull the ladle out.

KimberLeigh said...

Heh! Great post Justin!! Hee hee! And may the ladle RIP.

MindyW said...

HA HA! I love the picture of you tying to fish it out of the long drop! You guys are hilarious!

Unknown said...

you may want to put some plywood up there.

I never would've thought it'd be open - you should see all the stuff Dorothy has on top of ours. I'd better go check -