Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Exhausted

I am exhausted from so many trips back and forth to the hospital. I feel like I am never home. Poor Colby doesn't know what to think - Justin left almost 2 weeks ago and hasn't come back and I am gone all the time.

Things have not gone as well as we planned and Justin is spending his 13th night at the hospital tonight. We have no idea when he will be coming home.

On Saturday, he started feeling a lot more pain than he had been the few days before and had no appetite for his full-liquid meals. On Sunday the doctors decided that his bowels were still sleeping from the surgery and they needed to put an NG tube in his nose to drain his stomach to help with the bloating and also move him back to nothing but a few ice chips by mouth.

Besides the actual surgery, I think Justin feels that the NG tube is the worse thing he has gone through since being in the hospital. On Sunday he was miserable and it was really hard to see him that way. He couldn't talk and kept gagging because he could feel the tube in the back of his throat. They got a lot of stuff drained and we hoped they would remove the tube on Monday.

Monday he was doing quite a bit better. He could talk and although the tube was still annoying to him, he wasn't nearly as bad as the first day. And he took quite a few walks in the hallway.

As of tonight, they still haven't removed the tube. They are afraid that if they take it out, they will have to put it back in later. So once again, Justin has gone for a few days with no nourishment besides his IV's. We know that in order for him to be discharged to come home his body has to be able to process solid food correctly and since he isn't eating now, we think his stay is going to be quite a bit longer than we had hoped.

We are hoping that if he is still there as of Monday, the hospital staff will be lenient with us and let us wheel him over to one of the connecting professional buildings where my OB is. Anyone keeping track to the pregnancy countdown above will see that I am only days away from 20 weeks, so on Monday we are scheduled for an ultrasound to find out if baby is a boy or girl. Justin has missed all the good ultrasounds and we are not letting him miss this one!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I could not sleep Sunday night thinking of how miserable Justin was.
Even though I am not there now, my heart (and lots of time, my mind) is with you both.
I wish I could have stayed with you longer and that I could do more to help.

Amy said...

I can't believe Justin is still in the hospital. What a nightmare for you both. This is WAY worse than a c-section. You are in our prayers.