Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Colby's Longest Car Ride

Last Saturday, I gave Julie a break from Colby. I took him with me for a trip to Sargent, TX., which is between 1.5-2 hours away from our home.

A senior manager where I work had invited a bunch of us to go to his "fish camp" in Sargent, to help him with the construction of a deck.

At first Colby was a bit restless, and barked a bit. Then, I guess he resigned himself to the fact that we were going somewhere, and barking wasn't going to get us there any faster. Or, maybe it was the lull of the road that knocked him out. Either way, he slept most of the rest of the trip there.

When we arrived, I set up his pen and crate partly in the shade and partly in the sun. He did pretty well, as I had positioned his pen in a way that he could see us and not feel abandoned.

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, everyone there loved him. They thought he was so cute. There was a boy there who kept Colby company, either by sitting and playing in his pen, or by walking him around on his leash. I would have let him run around on his own more, but the back and the left side of the house are adjacent to the river. That wouldn't be so bad, except there is nothing to keep Colby from walking across the lawn and straight into the river.

Colby liked the water bottle we bought him Friday, which hangs on the crate or pen. It looks like it is for a big hamster. (Our big hamster named Colby)

I could tell that he enjoyed sniffing around and exploring that strange new place. I'm glad he acclimates well to new surroundings.

The trip home was even better than the trip down. Not only because traffic was lighter, but because Colby slept almost the whole way.

This should help him when we decide to go up to Dallas or over to Austin. :)

1 comments:

Rick said...

Baxter goes through the same thing. He'll spend a lot of time in the car, especially in the rear window, just watching the world go by.

Of course, if we stop for ice cream, we get plenty of company up front. :)