Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Adjusting to our new life

The past 11 days has been quite an adjustment for us as we try to get used to having Colby here with us. I think that it is actually a little harder for me because I am home more often than Justin is.

I think the thing that we are having trouble with (at least the biggest thing that I am having trouble with) is the biting. I know that he thinks he is playing with us, but his little teeth are quite sharp. We try to give him toys to chew on instead - but he really just wants our hands. So now I have scratches all over my right hand. I hate having to leave him in his pen, but I don't like to get hurt. So when he won't give up on trying to chew on me, I have to put him up for a little while.

Despite the biting problem, we love him. :) And especially right now when he is sleeping while Justin rubs his tummy we think about the fact that he really is just a baby and he is so cute.

On another note - we think that he has already gotten quite a bit bigger since we brought him home on the 14th. I hope that he stays on the small side, but it is good to know that he seems to be happy and healthy.

1 comments:

Rick said...

When we took Baxter to puppy training, I asked them specifically about biting. They told us that the best way to let him know that he's hurting you is to yelp, just like another puppy, and yank your hand away. As silly as it feels, it does seem to work on Baxter. Even if he still wants to play, he does seem a bit gentler.

I do feel for you, though. Baxter's are no fun, and he's pretty small. I wouldn't want to deal with a bigger dog gnawing on me.