Sunday, April 8, 2007

Our Easter weekend

First and foremost - this is the coldest Easter weekend that I (Julie) ever remember. Yesterday, it was so cold here, that by the evening it was 63 degrees in our house and we had to breakdown and turn on the heater - something I never thought we would have to do in April in Houston. But beyond the weather - here are some pictures and a little bit about our weekend.

Believe it or not - this is a picture of the cake that I made on Saturday. It may look like a hollow chocolate rabbit - but it a cake. :) Making the cake was an adventure because about 7 minutes after I put it in the oven, the power shut off. And this wasn't one of those "the power goes out and then turns right back on situations". No - the power was out for 45 minutes and the whole time I was freaking out that my cake would be ruined since it had already started baking when the power shut off. Luckily though - I was able to turn the oven back on as soon as the power came back and the cake seemed to turn out fine.

I posted the best picture first, here is a picture from the side where you can see that even though I cut the the rounded portion off of both halves before putting them together, it did not fit together very well. Oh well - it still turned out very tasty and of course I got a picture that makes it look its best.

After finishing with the cake, Justin and I colored some Easter eggs. Here are just a few pictures of the eggs that we colored. Coloring eggs is not just for kids!

Then, we had our friends Jen and Paul and their kids Aaron and Brian over to play games and eat some of the yummy bunny cake. We ended up playing a few children's games that we had bought this past week - Chutes & Ladders, CandyLand and Ant in the Pants.

Sunday morning we ate some of the hard-boiled eggs that we had colored the night before and sat at our beautifully decorated table.


Did I mention that I put together Easter baskets for us? Justin's is the big one on the right - mine is the smaller one on the left.

Then for Easter dinner we headed down to Texas City (really close to Galveston) to be with some of Justin's family for Easter. We had a great dinner and then afterwards, Justin's job was to help the kids dye some eggs. He had gotten some good practice from the day before. Here are some pics of them having Easter egg dying fun.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie, your talents are truly amazing.