Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Our "new" car

After I graduated from BYU in April of 1999, I bought myself a brand new 1999 Honda Civic.

I loved that little car and it went through a lot with me over the next 14 years.

I was rear-ended a couple times, I drove over one of those concrete barriers they sometimes put at the front of parking spaces (because I didn't realize it was there - maybe I shouldn't admit that).

I paid it off before starting graduate school in the fall of 2002.

Justin and I first discussed the possibility of getting married while riding in that car.

That car drove back and forth between Texas and Florida a few times and from Florida up to Missouri.

We drove that little car from Houston to Tampa after our honeymoon.

For a little while that little car was the only car we owned.

But we'd had a few problems with that little car over the past year or so and because it was a little small for a family of 5 we were starting to discuss replacing. Within weeks of us talking about getting a newer car, Justin's dad offered to sell us his Acura RL at quite the discount.
Not the exact same car but same year, make, model and color

At first we were torn because it was the same age as our Civic, but because it was in a lot better shape, we decided that we would go ahead and do. The day that Justin's dad and step-mom drove the car down to us, I took the Civic to CarMax to sell it to them.

As I drove I started thinking of all that had happened to me and to us while we had that car and it made me sad to sell it.

But once I got there and they had to jump start the car to take it back to appraise I started thinking instead of what a good idea we were selling the car. 

Then they offered me more than we thought we could get for the car and again I knew we were making the right choice.

And after the handed me the check and they couldn't even jump start the car to get it running I may have laughed the entire way home.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I just love that the situation worked out better than you had hoped. That doesn't happen very often. And what a good laugh you had.

Unknown said...

I believe your 1999 Honda Civic held a lot of memories for both you and Justin. It's nice to know that you had a deep connection with that car. It must've been hard letting go of something that meant so much to you. But I'm happy for your new purchase. I even find it funny that your old civic wouldn't start for Justin's parents. Maybe the car was having a hard time letting go as well. Haha! Oh well, enjoy your "new" car! :)

Floyd Pratt @ XL1 Motorsports

Unknown said...

That is such a touching story, Julie. I can only imagine how sad you were while saying goodbye to your old friend. If only cars could last up to a lifetime with us, right? Anyway, I hope your new used car is holding up way better than your previous one. I'm sure you're having some good moments with it by now. Take care to both you and Justin!

Diana Hayes @ Baldwin Subaru