Thursday, December 22, 2011

School


Let me tell you - I had hoped that Jacob's evaluation to get into school would go a lot like some of his ECI visits.  That is, Jacob getting frustrated that they wanted him to sit in a chair and do different tasks, resulting in him throwing fits and trying to bang his head on the table.  Is that terrible?  But this is the Jacob that we are used to at home, and I knew if they saw this he would get into school no problem.

This was not how the evaluation went though.  Instead he was pretty good about sitting in his little chair and doing the things that they asked him to do.  When he didn't want to do something and started getting up they totally catered to him and helped him find something else to entertain him so that he would keep sitting.  

The scary part (to me) during the evaluation was how impressed they acted with him.  They acted impressed that he looked at the clock on the wall and counted to 10.  They acted impressed that he could identify pictures of animals.  They acted impressed that he could identify the stuffed bear's body parts.

To be honest, it was frustrating to me as his mom.  These are things that a child a year younger than Jacob should be able to do.  That, and these abilities are all recent - that is, within the last couple months.

And so I was nervous that they would say that he didn't need to be in the school program and that they may just offer us a couple speech sessions a week.  Because I live with Jacob and spend a lot of time with him and I know that he needs more than that.

So when I went back for the meeting with the 2 ladies that evaluated him, the teacher for the preschool program and a kindergarten teacher, I didn't know what to expect.  It had been almost an entire month since his evaluation, so we had had a month to worry about it.  They started out by going over the results of the evaluation.  In which they said that they rated his speech and language skills to be about 3rd percentile for kids his age.

3rd percentile.

Wow.

I know that he is really far behind where he should be, but to hear that his language skills are only better than 3% of other kids his age is really bad.  Those are the kids who aren't talking at all.  That is where Jacob was just a couple months ago.

After hearing that I knew that they would have to let Jacob into the PPCD program (not that I remember what PPCD stands for).  And so starting on January 4th, every school day a bus will pick him up at our house and take him to school where he will be in class for 3 hours a day and then a bus will bring him back home.

I know that he needed this and that we needed this.  Seriously, when your kid is 3 and doesn't just tell you he wants to eat, but instead whines and throws a fit until you figure out that is what he wants, you need some time away from him everyday.  

And even though this is what we prayed for, I'm worried for him.  The first couple weeks I anticipate will be very rough on him.  After all, it took a year before we were able to leave him in the nursery at church without him throwing complete fits.  I know that he will be confused and scared.  I hope that he adjusts quickly - at least, a lot more quickly than he adjusts to other things.  

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I understand. I am hoping that he will like the bus and that he understands from you telling him often that he will go to school on the bus and that the bus will bring him home. He does seem to understand more than he did just a few months ago. You will both be in my prayers.

gabby said...

Don't let the % numbers freak you out. They learn in spurts, and in 6 months he might be at 20% or some other number, and Einstein didn't talk til he was 5 and he did some pretty cool things in his lifetime. Jacob is your sweet boy. Be proud of what he can do, and don't focus on what he isn't ready to do yet. It's early days. I feel for you both the first few days - he will probably have a hard time with the transition, but that too will pass and he'll get used to it and expect it. I can't imagine waving goodbye to my 3-yr-old as he goes off on a schoolbus... it'll be hard on you too, the first few days. I think you should plan a routine treat thing for when he gets home each day... a cookie, a piece of fruit, a snuggle & a book... something he can look forward to that helps him to transition back from school to home each day.
It'll be okay!

Amy said...

I'm so glad to hear that he got into the program. We have been praying for that. I do hope that the transition goes well and that you are just being an overly concerned mom. But that might not be the case. When my kids were in year round school, we often had hard transitions when they went back to school. They were grumpy and mean and would act up a lot. I hated it, but eventually it got better. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Jen said...

FYI...PPCD stands for pre-school program for children with disabilities. While I hated that word "disabilities," I was glad that Aaron got extra help he needed. The bus drivers, helpers, teachers and staff are awesome (at least the ones in my area) and while the initial adjustment will probably be hard, I really hope and expect you will all do great! Love you all!

White Folk said...

We have been praying for your family,especially for Jacob, that something would come along allowing for more growth and peace for him personally and for your household in general!!! Looks like such an opportunity has arrived. :) He is going to move ahead likely quicker than any of us realize with the chance to be in a structured school environment and as you mentioned this is also a wonderful way for you to have time with just the twins or even time just to yourself. :) We love you guys and miss yall tons! Merry Christmas!