Thursday, June 10, 2010

Justin and Julie trivia


In honor of our 6th anniversary, I decided to write up some Justin and Julie trivia. Some may read this and say - yeah I knew all that, but hey - this is all for posterity, right?

  • Justin and I are the same age and graduated from high school the same year. Technically though I am 3 months and 13 days older than him. I guess he goes for older women.
  • I finished my bachelor's degree 3 years before Justin finished his (thanks to his 2 year LDS mission in Samao). Justin finished his master's degree 1 semester before I finished mine.
  • Justin and I went on our first date August 28, 2002. Our second date was 6 months later on February 28, 2003. (Why 6 months between first and second date? Another blog post. Maybe.)
  • We decided we were definitely dating just after Spring Break in March 2003. Within a week I had accepted a summer internship in Kansas City and he had accepted a full-time job starting January 2004 in Tampa.
  • Everyone told me I was crazy for going to KC for the summer and that I would miss Justin too much. I told them all they were crazy because we had just started dating.
  • Justin drove out to Kansas City with me in May 2003 and we discussed the possibility of getting married.
  • Within a few days of being alone in KC I bought a plane ticket to fly back to see Justin in Tallahassee for the first weekend in June (because I missed him too much).
  • Justin came to Kansas City for the 4th of July weekend.
  • We were engaged in the Nauvoo Grove in front of the Nauvoo LDS temple on the 4th of July in 2003.
  • Our engagement lasted 49 weeks (forever for Mormons!!!) because we wanted to make sure I finished my degree but we didn't want to get married and live in different cities.
  • For the first 8 or 9 weeks that we were married Justin was out of town for work and we only saw each other on the weekends. We were basically living in different cities just like we did that last semester I was in school.
  • I grew up in Texas (from the age of 6 until leaving for BYU when I was 18, then I was back in Texas for 3 years before going to FSU), but Justin had never lived in Texas before August of 2006. Even though that makes it seem like Justin had no ties to Texas his dad and step-mom live about 20 minutes from my parents in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, and most of his dad's family live in Texas (especially around the Houston area).
  • We were married in Houston on Friday, June 11th and had a reception in Houston that night. The next day we had an open house in the Dallas area and 2 weeks later we had an open house in Tallahassee - I got a lot of use out of my wedding dress.
  • On our first date, we sang Guster songs together in the car. (Don't know who Guster is? That's not surprising since they aren't well-known, which is why it was interesting that we were both familiar with them.)
  • For our first anniversary we decided to go to Destin, Florida and enjoy the beautiful beaches there. The first tropical storm of the season also decided to go to Destin and we didn't get to go to the beach at all.
  • For our second anniversary we decided to go to Orlando and visit theme parks before we moved out of state. The first tropical storm of the season also decided to go to Orlando the same weekend so we only got to go to 1 park and it rained half the time we were there.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I only knew a few of these things about you and none about Justin, so this was very fun to read. Happy Anniversary!

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our 6th too. Oh, and you might want to change your font color... it's pretty hard to read. Cute July 4th background though!
Mary

sallyavena said...

Fun stuff I didn't know about you guys! Congrats and happy anniversary!