Saturday, February 6, 2010

Work in progress

Lately when I look around my house I think of all the things I want to change. For instance - when we first moved into our house we had no desire to paint any of the rooms, but now I am getting sick of the cream-colored walls that I see in every room. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I spend so much time at home these days.

We painted our half-bath a year after we moved into the house and didn't do a spectacular job on it and we kind of left the idea of painting behind us. Then we were very happy that Justin's aunt and uncle offered to do the work and paint Jacob's room for us. But after I made very frequent comments about wanting to paint other rooms and even went and got some color swatches we decided that it was time.

We started with the living room and dining room, but I have already picked out colors for the family room as well. The color we chose is called Tangy and is a dark yellow color. Here is the view from our front door:
Once we get around to it, we will have pictures hanging up in the dining room.

The view from the other corner of the living room:

One view from our dining room:
And the other angle into our living room from the dining room:
Not only do we have plans to paint the family room but I have a list of things I still want to do in the living room and dining room. In no set order:
  • Get a bookshelf to go on the left side of the piano. Oh yeah - I have a piano!!! We got it used from someone at church (we got it just a week ago). It needs to be tuned and the keys are pretty yellow, but it is beautiful and and has a good sound to it. (Which means - something to add to my list of things to do is to learn to play the piano.)
  • Get curtain rods and get my curtains made. Yeah - you can see the bolts of fabric standing up in the corner of the living room in a couple of the pictures. Fabric to make curtains for the living room, family room and our master bedroom. And ideally to make a valence for the dining room. Yes, this is the same fabric I bought 3 years ago. Maybe if I knew how to sew I would be more on top of getting my curtains done.
  • In a dream world, we would get a new couch and chair for the living room. But we don't so as of right now I want to get a slipcover for that gross looking plaid love seat that I bought almost 11 years ago.
  • Recover the chairs for the dining room table to match the unmade curtains.
  • As stated already in this post, put pictures up in the dining room.

Maybe in another 3 years my living room and dining room will be finished.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Love the paint color! I've got to come over and see it in person. Those sound like great plans for the rest of the room. Don't try to do it all at once...one thing at a time. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Laura Gilgen said...

Nice job!

Aimee Jones said...

I really like the paint color you choose. What a cute house!
I'm excited to one day be able to do that kind of stuff to a home!

Wendy said...

You sound so much like me! We finally got around to repainting our living/dining room. I'm still trying to figure out how to decorate it, though. We got a slipcover for our couch, but haven't decided what to do with the rest of the place. Just wait till Jacob gets a little older because there won't be room for any decorations amid all his toys. Any room we had for bookcases or shelves is now filled with her toy kitchen and easel and other toys! I'm so jealous about your piano! I'd love to find a place for one around here! Your house is looking so nice. I can't wait to see pics of the curtains!

Amy said...

Wow, it sure looks different. It's amazing what paint can do to a room. When I started reading the post, I was curious if you had made the curtains yet, so thanks for mentioning your curtains. Some day when you have all the time in the world, it will all get finished :)

Crafting is my Therapy said...

Love the yellow! We just painted our kitchen yellow. I also need to sew curtains! Sorry we did not hook up while I was down there. It was a crazy week of sickness and then off to sea. I made my day that you called me so many times. (Sorry I left my home #) that is how sick I was. love ya, amie

Unknown said...

Your painting job looks great! Am looking forward to seeing it in person. Love, Mom