Tuesday, July 14, 2009

7 months old already

It is hard to believe that our little miracle baby is already 7 months old. Here he is looking all cute:
It seems that it takes 2 people to get Jacob to smile when the camera is out. Since Justin is out of town and wasn't here to help me take the picture I couldn't get one with a smile. I think he is just too confused by the camera or something.

The past month has been full of ups and downs. Jacob is not doing well with "solid" food. We thought he was just having a problem with rice cereal, so after a few tries we moved on to oatmeal cereal. He just doesn't seem to like it. After a few bites he is totally done. But he really wants any food we are eating, so I think he just realizes that baby food is nasty. We will keep trying. We did have him try squash a couple times. Mixed reviews on that one.

Jacob is still rolling all over the place, and in fact he rolled right off our bed a few days ago. I felt completely awful about it, but he only cried for about a minute, was clingy for about a minute or two after that and then was fine. With rolling, he has learned that it really is better to be on his tummy than on his back. I am glad that I don't have to help him roll back onto his back all the time anymore.
Before it seemed that Jacob was rolling aimlessly, but now he rolls with a purpose. He will see something that he wants and he sets out for it. He has done a little creeping, but it is mainly by rolling that he gets where he wants.

Over the past month Jacob has started to make more sounds than just cooing all the time. The other day he said "ama", so I think we will hear "mama" from him before we hear "dada". Not that he will know he is talking about me when he first says it, but I will be excited nonetheless.

Jacob has also mastered another trick over the past few days:
He can sit up for a few minutes before he topples over! He usually just slowly falls over, but he has taken a few hard spills that end up with a bonked head and a screaming baby, so I decided to start putting the boppy around him to keep us both happy.

In the past month, Jacob has learned to nap pretty well (not counting the last few days when I don't think he has been feeling all that great). He typically only takes one nap a day for about 2 hours, however sometimes he will take an hour nap and then later take an hour and a half nap. I am loving that he naps and I am actually able to get a few things done around the house.

Jacob loves it when Justin comes home from work and he will lay in Justin's arms and tell him all about his day. He also loves to play with Justin by having Justin pretend to "eat" his stomach. He loves it more than blowing on his stomach, but he loves it best when Daddy does it (as opposed to when I do it) .

It is hard to believe that he is 7 months old and that he is getting so big. I looked at the first picture we took of him next to his elephant when he was 1 month old and was shocked at how big my baby is getting. Who told him he could grow up so fast?

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow! When comparing the one month & 7 month pictures, he looks so huge now!
We were so glad to see you last month and have you come for a few days this month.
He does have the ability to get where he wants to go and it won't be long before he discovers better ways to do that.
Mom

Emily said...

Isn't it crazy to look back at old pictures? What a cutie he is! Those pouty lips and chubby cheeks! Love em! We had the same thing with Josie as far as solids. I didn't even start her on any consistently until she was around 7 months. She just decided on her own when she was ready and in the meantime nursed more frequently. Every baby is different, I guess!

Amy said...

I agree - Joshua turns two tomorrow and I feel the same way. I certainly didn't tell him to grow up so fast!

Love all of the chunkiness on Jacob. That is one of the best things about this age, all that cute baby fat.