Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Positive AT&T Experience

Well, I can't say I've ever had a really great experience with cell phone providers.  But, today is an exception.  First off, I had gotten the unlock code for my T-mobile BlackBerry 8320, so it could be used on other networks, and let Julie try it out.  She LOVED texting with a full qwerty keyboard, but it kept shutting off randomly.  After using it for three weeks, we switched her back to her old phone.

Now, imagine my surprise when looking at my at&t wireless account online and seeing a $175 charge for "Other Usage" on Julie's line.  It turns out, that even though I had set up the BlackBerry to use the WiFi, some data was coming/going over the at&t network.  I had set up Gmail and some other apps that were supposed to go over WiFi on the BlackBerry that were apparently not always using WiFi.
So, I called up at&t support and laid it out for them.  I suggested that instead of billing me the whole amount, they just charge me the $15 for a data plan.  I mean, if we were planning on using that much of their data services, we'd have signed up for the data plan.  The support person said she needed to look up something on the account, and when she came back she said that it would not be a problem and then made the needed updates to credit back most of the charges to our account.
It looks like it pays to stay cool and calm, and to have a suggestion ready when calling support.  Like I said, I can't say I've ever had a really great experience with cell phone providers, but, today is an exception.

1 comments:

KimberLeigh said...

That is miraculous that they credited your account! Kudos to AT &T!

Sure hope you are getting better and better!