Tuesday, August 5, 2008

lame, lame, lame

This week is the pits so far.

Starting out - Justin is working out of town again this month. Of course, he will be home on the weekends but we really hate having to go Monday through Friday only communicating via cell phones, instant messaging and texts. We have been so super spoiled this year with the lack of travel that it is hard to get back into the swing of things when he is gone like this.

Next - a tropical storm made landfall and went right through Houston. You wouldn't have known it except for the fact that the school where I worked closed down and a lot of offices closed down (not that Justin got to benefit from the fact that his office was closed today).

Don't get me wrong - I didn't want a devastating storm to hit us. But I lived here in 2001 when Tropical Storm Allison flooded a lot of Houston, including most of downtown. The media totally played this one up - like we were going to have another Allison, which dropped 18 inches of rain on Houston's big airport in just a few hours. Another Allison, which made freeways look like rivers (yes - this man is paddling around on the Southwest Freeway back in June of 2001):


I did not want another Allison that ruined so many homes. And I know that my students are super happy that all campuses were closed today so they could stay home for some rain (I say some rain because in this area of town, that is all we got - maybe 2 inches total all day. Maybe). So why do I think it is lame?

This makes more work for me, trying to decide what to cut out of my class since we missed this day. And I think it is lame that Justin had to be out of town and we couldn't relive our newlywed days in Tampa (that first year we were married there were 3 hurricanes that went through the Tampa area) when we got to veg out with movies and snacks and had an excuse to do absolutely nothing.

Most of all I think it is lame that the media tried to freak a pregnant woman out when her husband had to be out of town.

Lame.

1 comments:

Emily said...

I totally hear ya on the whole being pregnant-with-a-husband-out-of-town thing! I'm sure Carrie does too! Sorry about the whole hurricane thing. I'm sure that's frustrating! You don't need a hurricane to have an excuse to be lazy. You're pregnant!! Live it up! I sure am...... : ) Hope things get better and that your little bundle of joy is keeping you company in the meantime.