Monday, August 11, 2008

16 weeks and counting ...

Today I had my 16 week appt with my doctor. Things are looking really good and today baby had a heart rate of 153 bpm. I have to admit though, I am going through withdrawals. It has now been 3 and a half weeks since my last ultrasound and I don't get another one for 4 weeks! Ugh! I have been super spoiled when it comes to ultrasounds. Here are the best from each week (I know my mom has been dying for me to post the pics already).

Here is the first ultrasound on the day of embryo transfer. The white swirls in the middle are our two embryos!

The next u/s was 3 weeks later, one week after we were told we were officially pregnant (and therefore almost 6 weeks along). The dark spots showed us that both of our embryos implanted, one had a yolk sack and the other appeared empty.

The next u/s was only a few days later, 6 weeks and 1 day along. The small arrow is pointing to the heartbeat in one of the sacks, the other sack now had a yolk sack.

Another ultrasound at the end of the week 6 showed that both our embryos had heart beats (where the rings are) and also freaked us out because it showed another empty sack - we're glad nothing ever developed with that.

Week 7, day 1 was my first OB visit, where they also wanted to do an ultrasound to verify the pregnancy and the twins. Looking at the picture now, I have to admit that I have no idea what I am looking at! The OB now wanted to see me every week, too, to monitor the twins.

Two days later, week 7 day 3 (our anniversary!), I went back to the fertility clinic where they also did an ultrasound that again showed both heartbeats. I love this next picture, they were able to get one of the babies at a really good angle and you can make out the head and arms!

Week 8 day 2 when I headed to the OB for my second visit was a bit sad - this is when we found out that one of the babies no longer had a heart beat. We decided to focus on the fact that we were still pregnant and this meant an easier pregnancy. Here is our baby that made it where you can make out the head and umbilical cord. Since we were no longer expecting twins, the OB decided she only needed to see me every 4 weeks now.

Week 8 day 3 had me back at the fertility clinic, where they verified that we had indeed lost the heart beat for one of our twins. They didn't give me any pictures of the ultrasound for this one, just pointed out to me the differences between our two little embryos.

Week 9 day 3 and I was back at the fertility clinic again. This was probably the most exciting ultrasound so far, because this is the only time I have seen the baby move! The baby wiggled arms and legs at us (head at the top of the pic, legs at the bottom). Since we were no longer expecting twins and everything looked good, I was told that would be my last visit to the fertility clinic (and no more medications for IVF, yay!).

Week 12 day 5 I did the first trimester genetic pre-screening at my OB, just for another ultrasound. Afterall - it had been about 3 weeks since I had been able to see the baby and I was starting to go through withdrawals. We had also hoped Justin would be able to go to this one, but sadly this was the week he was in the hospital. This is the best pic from that visit. Baby didn't move at all because it was sleeping. You can see it kind of curled up, face down with arms and hands in front of itself.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Seeing pictures makes me even more excited for you. It makes it more real, too. I can't wait for the next ones.
Wish I could be there for an ultrasound, so I can see the baby better. I am so anxious for January to get here!

. said...

Ahh!! Your baby is already super cute! Congrats!

Amy said...

How exciting that you already have so many pictures of this baby. I love hearing the updates about the pregnancy. Are you going to find out if it's a boy or girl? You'll be able to find out real soon!

KimberLeigh said...

Mmmmm...delicious!! Your baby is so cute already! What fun!!! xoxoxoxo I am so dang excited for you two!

Anonymous said...

wow i so exeited to give birth to my twins in Jan now. On my 2nd sonogram there where two emborys and only one yolk sac.