Sunday, June 10, 2007

What a week!

This past week was my first week of summer classes and it was a killer!

In a normal semester, I would be in the classroom teaching these 2 classes for 6 hours a week. For a summer session though I am in class for 16 hours a week. I know that partly it is just that I am used to working part-time, but right now it is killing to be in class for 4 hours a day and then spend 4-5 hours a day preparing for upcoming classes or grading. It will be even worse this week when I give a test in each class. You also have to keep in mind that I am only paid for the time that I spend in class so all of my prep time and grading time is time spent without compensation.

I guess that is really the thing that makes it so difficult for me to deal with how much I am working right now - who likes to work when they know that they aren't getting paid for it? The funny thing is, I wouldn't have even noticed quite how much extra work it was to teach two different classes at once if I were teaching them during a regular semester.

I guess my big complaint here is - if they are going to work me like a full-time employee then they need to pay me like one.

0 comments: