Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tax Time

Justin and I are finally ready to do our taxes. I estimated what our return would be back in January before we bought our bedroom furniture (I have always been really close when I estimate, in fact I have never over-estimated what my tax return will be - which is a good thing).

So if we were able to estimate our tax return why not just file our taxes, you may be asking. That is actually something that has been annoying to us both over the past 7 weeks. On January 15th, Justin sent an email to our bishop back in Tampa asking for our official Tax Charitable Donations Statement so we can itemize deductions on our taxes, the response was that it would be printed and mailed at the end of the month. We had assumed that, but asked for it just to make sure that they hadn't forgotten us and knew where to send it.

When February 15th came around and we still didn't have the statement from them, I sent an email. I kindly reminded them of our address and let them know that that was the only document we were waiting on to be able to file our taxes. I got no response to my email. So then Justin sent another email to someone else in our old ward again asking for the statement. Again, no response. At this point, I was getting extremely frustrated and kept pointing out to Justin that legally they had a responsibility to mail us the statement by the end of January.

Justin sent a final email last week, the morning of March 2. He sent it to everyone in the bishopric asking if they would at least fax us the statement since we had not yet received it. Interesting enough, we got this statement in the mail yesterday. Why is that so interesting? It is postmarked from Tampa on March 2. Looks like the last email saying to at least fax it finally prompted someone to go and drop it in the mail.

That means that Justin and I have a fun night in store for us - getting everything entered into TurboTax. Good thing we kept all of our moving receipts in a file all ready to go!

0 comments: