Sunday, June 7, 2009

One drama after another

It seems like it is one thing after another in our family. I'm sure everyone feels that way, but I just have to say that I hope that we are done with hospitals for a while.

I am guessing that Justin's body was going through withdrawals and missing all the attention of being in the hospital so he needed a trip to the ER on Thursday night.

Justin was bathing Jacob and after getting him out of the tub and handing him off to me to get ready for bed, Justin complained that his back was hurting him. Those who don't know Justin very well probably don't know that Justin is NOT a complainer. I am the complainer in the family. In fact, Justin doesn't complain to the extent that a lot of people didn't realize how sick he was when he was suffering through ulcerative colitis and needed his large intestine removed. After just another minute or so, he said, "My back is really killing me - I think I need to go soak in the tub."

After a soak in the tub, that didn't do much to help, Justin decided to take a vicodin (leftover from surgery #3) and take a rest in bed for a while. After about a half an hour, the pain was so intense that he threw up and decided to try to soak again.

We called the "Ask-a-Nurse" through our insurance, and after Justin answered a lot of questions about the type of pain, where it was located and the intensity we were instructed to go to an ER. I called my mom (because I always call my mom at times like these) and she asked if Justin could be having a problem with kidney stones. And we thought that I was the only one in our family that had kidney stones.

After being at the hospital for a couple hours, we were told that it was in fact kidney stones. We didn't get home from the hospital until 1:30am and after I put Jacob back to bed and made sure Justin was ok, I went to a 24 hour pharmacy to have the prescription for pain-killers filled (which according to Justin is way better than vicodin).

I'm guessing that most of our blog readers are lucky enough to not know how painful kidney stones are. When I went through them (twice) before I was told that the pain of kidney stones rivals the pain of labor. Having now experienced both, I would have to agree. I did think that my labor pain was worse than the pain of the kidney stones, but not by much. And I never experienced regular contractions - only the ones brought on by pitocin (and my understanding is that these are far more evil contractions than non-induced ones are).

Now we are hoping to be able to make it at least a few months with no more medical problems or sicknesses!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow...you guys have the worst luck with medical complications! I guess it is good that it happend before he started traveling again.

Amy said...

How painful . . . I think that I had kidney stones a while back. I had this awful back pain that gradually got worse - the pain was so bad I threw up too. We went to the ER, had some tests and had a catscan set up for the following day. The catscan didn't show anything, so we guess that the stone passed before. Thank goodness for priesthood blessings! Hopefully Justin has a very quick recovery and there are very few doctor/hospital visits.

Kyndra said...

As I was reading this I was thinking at the beginning, "Kidney stones, I know it." I've had 6 kidney stones. I think the pain of kidney stones is worse than labor because the pain doesn't let up, and in labor the pain lets up when the contraction is over. Oh the bad memories!! Last time I passed a stone was when I was pregnant with Lexi and thought I was going into labor at 6 months. SUCH bad memories. I'm SO SORRY he had to go through this! I feel sorry for anyone in the kidney club. I'm off to drink a gallon of water now....